Thursday, November 1, 2012

[Random] Nom de Plume


The sudden interest in pseudonyms came up because of 'The Marriage Plot'. I was reading the synopsis and George Eliot was mentioned, then I started wondering about his (i thought she was a guy at first and you couldn't blame me) works. So, I googled it and found out that George Eliot was a woman named Mary Ann Evans who used the said pseudonym to make people take her works seriously and to avoid possible discrimination. Then...I got curious as to the other pseudonyms used by different authors, good thing the ever-reliable Wikipedia has a list. Here are some 'interesting' pseudonyms used by famous and some not-so-famous people.

Anne, Charlotte, and Emily, popularly known as the Brontë sisters became the Bell sisters when they chose Acton Bell, Currer Bell, and Ellis Bell to be their respective pseudonyms.

Some authors are widely known by their pseudonyms rather than their real names, here are some of them;

Pseudonym  (Real Name)
Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel)
George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair)
Lewis Caroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens)
Pablo Neruda (Ricardo Eliecer Neftali Reyes Basoalto)
Voltaire (Francois Marie Arouet)

On the other hand, some famous authors known by their real names adapt pseudonyms as well for different reasons. Some of these are;

Charles Dickens - Boz
Washington Irving - Diedrich Knickerbrocker
C.S. Lewis - Clive Hamilton
Agatha Christie - Mary Westmacott
Stephen King - Richard Bachman

I've also noticed some authors who used Letters as their nom de pleums like the famous J.K. Rowling (Joanne Kathleen Rowling), H.D. (Hilda Doolittle), Q. (Arthur Quiller Couch), N.W. Clerk (C.S. Lewis), and Professor X (unknown).

Of all the pseudonyms listed in Wiki, the one who caught my attention was this guy named William Connor. He was a left-wing journalist and used 'Cassandra' as his nom de pleum. The name came from the Greek legend. Cassandra was given the gift of prophecy by Apollo but was also cursed so that no one would believe her. A very ironic pseudonym for a journalist. In fact, I find it very clever.

If I would be given a chance to write in the future and choose my very own pseudonym, I'd want something that involves Letters or an Initial. 'T. C.' maybe, short for Twinkle Choi. Or 'T. Wink', argh sounds weird to me. Humor Har. Or better yet, why not my real initials... 'H. T. A.' sounds good to me.
Watcha think? Ü


P.S. It's good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment