Sunday, September 30, 2012

[Book Rave] Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles 1) – Marissa Meyer




 Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
The first book in the Lunar Chronicles series is a spin-off from my most favorite fairy tale in the world that goes by the title, Cinderella. It's all about this girl Cinder who lives in New Beijing with her evil step mother and of course the ever present stepsisters (though only one of them is mean). But Cinder is not an ordinary girl, she's a cyborg living in a world where Androids and Humans coexist and where cyborgs are, well, pretty much discriminated. And then there's Prince Kai, the oh-so-charming prince and future emperor of Eastern Commonwealth which Cinder had somehow gotten involved to.

When I first read about the book in Goodreads, I thought that the story has so much promise. You can still see glimpses of the original Cinderella stuff but Meyer twisted some and made the story her own. And let me tell you how much I love the way she wrote her characters.

Cinder; I love every bit of this fantastic girl. Of course I totally adore Cinderella and it's a given that I'd totally like Cinder. As Prince Kai said, she's the best mechanic in New Beijing, isn't that awesome? And then she's kind, brilliant, loving, and even funny. I like it that she's strong and knows when to fight and when to shut up. No doubt Kai totally fell for her (since there were no formal announcement, I’m just assuming here)

Prince Kai; Kai's character reminds me of that Prince Leonard character in one of those Japanese Cinderella anime, especially when he dressed up like a commoner and went to find Cinder and asked her fix his android. That was cute. I like the guy's sense of humor as well, and oh boy, he is the perfect gentleman. He's so noble I swear the Eastern Commonwealth should build him a monument or something. Lol

One of the things I liked about the book is how the attraction between the two unfolds. Really. The chemistry is so obvious I was squirming on my seat when they first met in the market and every other scene involving the two of them gave me maximum level of giddiness. Their interactions were just so cute and light, never overly dramatic...even the ball and stairs scene was just perfect for young readers like me who doesn't really want them heavy dramas.

Oh, and the supporting characters were just great. There's Ike the android, which you can't help but adore, faulty personality and all. Peony, the kind stepsister...I grieved and cried when she died in Cinder's arms. Dr. Erland who was, in a way, became Cinder's godfather. The story wouldn't be the same without these people.

And lastly, the antagonists; I know Adri was supposed to be the evil stepmother, but I can't help it if Queen Levana fitted the bill more perfectly that Adri.  Truth is, I dunno which between the two of them I should hate more since both of them want Cinder dead. But Queen Levana is definitely a scheming, lying, and mind controlling bitch. SHE is THE perfect epitome of the word EVIL. At least Adri is somehow capable of loving.

The ending was a cliff hanger and I honestly can't wait for the next book, and the next, and the next. Seriously, can't 2015 just come in the blink of an eye?

No comments:

Post a Comment