Sunday, May 27, 2012

Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare (The Quote Book 5)


Romeo and Juliet


 After a strong urge to just dump this book and forget that I ever started reading it...I've finally finished it! I was battling with myself  because half of me wants to stop punishing myself by reading it since I don't even understand some of the words, and the other half of me which screams, "that for the LOVE of Shakespeare, please finish the book!" I guess the good angel won, so here I am...saying what I think about Romeo and Juliet, one of the greatest love stories of all time.


To be honest, I was disappointed. Scratch that. VERY disappointed. And at the same time, I was IMPRESSED. Okay, go figure that one. 

Disappointed, because of the plot. Seriously, at 14 years old (if I understood the story right, please, correct me if I'm wrong) Juliet fell madly IN LOVE with Romeo?! (PBB Teens lang ang peg). I mean, Hello?! In our generation, that is called PUPPY LOVE. And here comes Romeo, which fell in love the first time he saw Juliet...considering the fact that during that time..he was currently "in love" with Rosaline. What the heck! Love at first sight?! Even if you felt strongly attached to someone. No. Not plausible for me. Or maybe. I'm just cynical when it comes to these things. Since I have this belief, that teenagers don't fall in love just like that. For me, romantic love develops in a span of years and not in the mere three seconds that you held your eyes together for the first time. Tsk. But, enough of that. Who am I to judge Romeo and Juliet if they really fell in love that fast?! Duh! It's just a story. A fiction. (Affected ako. Bakit?LOL)

IMPRESSED. Yes! Very much. As I've told you earlier, I don't understand half of what the book is saying. It's hard to explain, but even if I don't understand it, I feel what it supposed to mean. I know. It's weird that instead of understanding it, I'm feeling it. But maybe, that made Shakespeare a great writer. 

Quotes (yeah, I found some)

"Is love a tender thing? It is too rough, Too rude, too boist'rous, and it pricks like thorn"
"True, I talk of dreams; Which are the children of an idle brain, Begot of nothing but vain fantasy; Which is as thin of substance as the air, And more inconstant than the wind, who wooes..."
"...Come, gentle night; come, loving, black-brow'd night; Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die, Take him and cut him out in little stars, And he will make the face of heaven so fine. That all the world will be in love with night, And pay no worship to the garish sun..."
Photo credits: Goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment