Sunday, May 27, 2012

Persuasion - Jane Austen (The Quote Book 4)

Persuasion

After reading Wuthering Heights and got a little bit disappointed, I decided to stick with Austen (for now) since I liked Pride and Prejudice. I chose Persuasion because I got curious after reading its plot summary on Goodreads. I wouldn't write a review for this. Just want to share some "passages" from the book.

"No, it was not regret which made Anne's heart beat in spite of herself, and brought the colour into her cheeks when she thought of Captain Wentworth unshackled and free. She had some feelings which she was ashamed to investigate. They were too much like joy, senseless joy!"

"For the first time, since their renewed acquaintance, she felt that she was betraying the least sensibility of the two. She had the advantage of him in the preparation of the last few moments. All the overpowering, blinding, bewildering, first effects of strong surprise were over with her. Still, however, she had enough to feel! It was agitation, pain, pleasure, a something between delight and misery."

"..Yes, I do. Your countenance perfectly informs me that you were in company last night with the person whom you think the most agreeable in the world, the person who interests you at this present time more than all the rest of the world put together."

"I can listen no longer on silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, than his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you.  Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant.....For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes?...."

"I was six weeks with Edward, (said he,) and saw him happy. I could have no other pleasure. I deserved none. He enquired after you very particularly; asked even if you were personally altered, little suspecting that to my eye you could never alter"

Photo credits: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment