Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review: Shug


Shug
Shug by Jenny Han

My rating: 3 of 5 stars





Seriously, do 12 year-old girls talk about being a femme fatale? a temptress? or of having a sexual relationship with someone? At that age? Aisht. Jinjja?

And what's with naming her Shug because of Shug Avery? As far as I know, The Color Purple isn't something that I would recommend for teens to read. Not that I've read it, but Ms. Google informed me enough.

As for the story, yeah, something about wanting to belong, figuring out yourself, and some stuff about falling in love, well, falling in love in the eyes of a 12 year old.

Sorry if I can't help repeating about Shug being just 12 year old, because I absolutely cannot accept the fact that a 12 year old is already plotting some seductive tactics. I mean, wow-oh-wow, the generation now is really different from what it used to be.

The writer really tried to tell this story in the tone of a 12 year old, in some ways it was succesful, but there are some things which I don't think can come out of the mind of a 12 year old. Or maybe I'm just a little bit tight and conservative to not consider that the world is changing and young people now know more that what young people before used to.

Anyways, I had fun reading it. It was short. It was young. Definitely not for my 21 year old safe but perfect for my 16 year old self that is lurking somewhere within me.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment