Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: S is for Silence


S is for Silence
S is for Silence by Sue Grafton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



There might be SPOILERS ahead.



Can anyone please explain to me what just happened?

It has been a long time since I've read a book from the Kinsey Millhone Alphabet series. It felt so much like meeting with an old friend. I will forever adore Kinsey Millhone for she is an epitome of the woman I'd always wanted to be. She is independent, doesn't really care that much about vanity, loves Big Macs and Peanut butter and pickles, perfectly fine in living alone though get lonely sometimes (Hello? Being alone isn't exactly the best way to spend living in this maddening world). And though I don't really think I'd fall for a guy enough to be my Dad, I understand her "teen-crush-slash-puppy-love" for her landlord Henry. Heck, I even like her freakin' apartment.But the thing that I envy most about her is her smart-ass-ness, and of course she has a freakin' gun.

Technically, this is the first from the Kinsey Millhone series where Grafton used another point of view aside from Kinsey's own. In a way, it was a good thing since we are provided an insight on the other character's personalities. It also tells us stories which are unknown to even Kinsey. But unlike her other books, I noticed that this book has a lot of loopholes. There are a lot of things which needed an explanation but weren't provided by the author in the end.

I am used to Kinsey explaining what exactly happened with the case (usually in the last chapters or the epilogue), but this one provided more questions than answers. I think I get the motive of the killer, but I honestly can't figure out the connection on why that person was the killer just because he bought that dog. Why, Kinsey, why? Was it stated and I just missed it? Or was it really not explained?
Anyways, I'm a sucker for crime novels. Being a crime novel and providing me something that would exercise my brain cells will always deserve at least a 3 for me. Yeah, yeah, it's kinda unfair for other books in other genre, but I genuinely enjoy a good crime novel whether it was cleared up neat and tidy on the end or has left loop holes and loose strings for me to fill in, tie, or cut.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment