Wednesday, March 13, 2013

[Book Rave] Scarlet

WARNING. There MIGHT be SPOILERS ahead.


Wow, Fantastic Baby!



Definitely the B-E-S-T!



If I am using gifs of my two ultimate favorite KPOP groups, then beware. Extreme spazzing ahead.

Aakjshgyhrtyiruhjhdgagfsrtadurgahgfeiu0uibv!

Lemme breathe in first.




Even without reading what Cinder was all about, the cover itself was enough to captivate me. After reading Cinder, I knew in my heart that I would go through with the whole series until the end.


Scarlet's cover is as beautiful as that of Cinder. Gorgeous, gorgeous covers. See, a good YA series doesn't really need a pretty girl in the cover just to catch people's attention.


New characters. We have been introduced to new characters in this book. The most important were Scarlet and Wolf, and yeah, Thorne. I liked Scarlet, (hey Haf, when did you ever disliked a kick-ass heroine?-t)with her red hood, strong personality, tough determination, and a good heart. Wolf, not much. I think I need to get to know more about him , but I'm warming up on him. It's not like it's his fault that he was like that. Thorne? No confusion on this one. I liked his playful nature. Yeah, I thought he was this happy-go-lucky-kind of guy, which in a way, he was. But let's admit it, without him (and his Rampion, ehem) Cinder wouldn't have survived being a fugitive.

Love angles. Scarlet and Wolf, I felt theirs was too fast. Unlike Cinder and Kai's which is up to now -still- a love story in the making. I wish we could have seen more of Wolf's confusion on his feelings for Scarlet or fulfilling his duties. Or even Scarlet's struggle between her growing feelings for Wolf and her anger for him because of his betrayal. 
Cinder and Kai. Ok, jealous Kai is jealous. One of my favorites from the book. Here's an excerpt:

"Kai neared his desk again, seeing that the fugitive's profile had been transferred to the screen. His frown deepened. Perhaps not dangerous, but young and inarguably good looking. His prison photo showed him flippantly winking at the camera. Kai hated him immediately."


See what I mean? Scenes like this one are to die for. Haha. (says the hopeless romantic in me)

Back to the story. Iko is back too, with a vengeance, if I may say so.
And still, Queen Levana is as hateful as ever, and yeah, Adri made an appearance. What a shame!

Scarlet and Cinder? Honestly, it was love at first sight for me on Cinder, so I really prefer her over Scarlet. But, I love Scarlet as well. Their confrontation on the Rampion was one of the best scenes, EVER. I mean, duh, two kick-ass heroines, arguing, both having a point. Wow-oh-Wow. I don't know which side to choose. Good thing they are both rational human beings and settled it well. 

Yeah, another thing that made me extra-happy. "Manila" was one of the four cities which were attacked during the last few chapters. I don't live in Manila, but hey, it's still part of the Philippines. So nice to read it mentioned in one of my favorite series. It is so easy to make me happy.

Ooh, and BTW, I do have a favorite scene (I have a lot actually, but this one is the most unforgettable):

Thorne coughed. "I'm still confused.
With a sigh, Cinder wilted onto a crate, staring down at her mismatched hands. She scrunched her whole face up, like preparing for a blow, and muttered. "I'm Princess Selene."
Thorne snorted and they all turned to him.
He blinked. "What, really?"
"Really."
The joking smile froze on his lips.
A heavy silence was followed by a vibration beneath their feet and Iko's voice. "I don't compute."
"That makes two of us," said Thorne.


I finished reading it past midnight, but my energy level was so high, like I took 3 cups of coffee. I am so excited for the next book. Aigoo~~~2014, Wae so far? So now I'm....



For 2014. 

On the other hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment