Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: Paper Towns


Paper Towns
Paper Towns by John Green

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



"If I had a nervous breakdown every time something awful happened in the world, I'd be crazier than a sh*thouse rat."


After reading The Fault in Our Stars which you can't help but love and Looking for Alaska, a LOVE it or HATE it kind of book (I loved it), I still can't seem to be under the spell of John Green's writing. I mean, the two books were great...but they didn't really made me feel like I have to READ all of Green's book. But this book does me in.

Quentin a.k.a. Q., a nerdy guy (again! But who cares? I love nerds) is forever in love with extraordinary girl Margo Roth Spiegelman (another again! but again, who cares? i freakin' love EXTRAORDINARY women). They spend a whole night of adventure, then, she disappeared in the morning, leaving clues for Q to figure out.

What I loved most about this book?
It felt...YOUNG. It wasn't as dark as Looking for Alaska nor as dramatic as The Fault in Our Stars (which made me cry every now and then). Heck, I loved all of the characters. I like the way John Green wrote the relationship between Q and his friends. Of the three John Green books, this one made me laugh, A LOT! Good heavens! I just can't get over with the pee-in-the-beer-bottle incident. I was LOL-ing in the middle of the night and had to put a pillow in my mouth to muffle the sounds or I'd wake my sisters. You don't really get that kind of fun in reading a book often.
You know, aside from making you laugh, it also teaches you something. Although that something is different for each reader. As for me, uhm, that's a secret. (Hehe)

I really don't know what to say about the ending since it seemed so open-ended. It was unexpected, yes, but it kept me wondering what happened after. Was it a happy ending? A bittersweet one? A lot of things could have happened after. Like being landed by a meteorite, and poof, they both turn into ashes (okay, that's me who lacks sleep and hungry who's talking).

This book may have it's flaws (like any other book), but I had FUN while reading it. And I guess, that's the more important thing.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment